WindowTabs is compatible with 32 and 64bit Windows XP to Windows 8 and can add tabs to almost any application. Download and run WindowTabs.msi to install WindowTabs. This will install the application, create a shortcut and launch WindowTabs.
Note, if you have an old version of WindowTabs installed (v650 and earlier), please uninstall it before installing this version.
For access to WindowTabs wherever you work, download the portable "WindowTabs.exe" and save it to your USB or other portable media. Your settings will be saved to "WindowTabsSettings.txt" in the same directory as the executable.
Version 2013.4.2 - Tuesday April 02, 2013
Version 2013.2.20 - Wednesday February 20, 2013
- Added auto hiding right click on a maximized tab to enable it per group.
Version 2013.1.23 - Wednesday January 23, 2013
Version 2012.12.30 - Sunday December 30, 2012
- Fixed a bug which caused some windows not to minimize with a tab group.
Version 2012.12.24 - Monday December 24, 2012
- Fixed an issue with the installer on Windows 8.
Version 2012.12.20 - Thursday December 20, 2012
- Fixed a bug which causes windows to minimize / maximize in an endless loop in some circumstances.
Version 2012.5.25 - Friday May 25, 2012
- Minimize all windows in the group together instead of having to minimize each window separately
Version 2012.5.7 - Monday May 07, 2012
- added the ability to switch tabs by using the mouse scroll button (either hover over tabs and scroll or hold shift and scroll mouse over a window)
- added support for Skype
Version 2012.4.19 - Thursday April 19, 2012
- flash taskbar item when any window in tab group is flashed (e.g. IM chat window)
- fixed small bug causing taskbar preview window to show tab as flashed after it has stopped flashing
Version 2012.4.17 - Tuesday April 17, 2012
- added tab flashing when the taskbar button flashes (for example, instant messenger windows)
- fixed crash when using group switcher on Windows versions earlier than Windows 7
- fixed occasional crash in process settings window
- fixed occasional crash during drag drop of a tab
Version 2012.3.21 - Wednesday March 21, 2012
- fixed bug which caused crash in Diagnostics view on 64bit windows
Version 2012.3.20 - Tuesday March 20, 2012
- activate window when draging an item over the tab
- allow dropping files onto an Explorer tab to copy / move files
- added "Diagnostics" tab in settings, use this if an app has no tabs and you want to figure out why
- fixed problem in group switcher that caused it to fail to activate group in some situations
- fixed problem in group switcher which caused it to display behind other windows in "peek" mode
- changed defaults for group switching to "CTRL + PageDown" and "Ctrl + PageUp"
- eliminate dialogue windows from group switcher list
- fixed intermittent crash in WindowTabs
Version 2012.3.8 - Thursday March 08, 2012
- fixed intermittent crash when closing windows introduced in version 2012.3.6
- send error reports to windowtabs.com for investigation
Version 2012.3.6 - Tuesday March 06, 2012
- added ability to switch between groups, similar to windows "ALT+TAB" switcher (use "CTRL+ALT+DOWN" or edit the hotkeys in Settings/Keyboard)
- changed hotkeys for switching tabs in a group to "CTRL+ALT+LEFT" and "CTRL+ALT+RIGHT"
Version 2012.2.26 - Sunday February 26, 2012
- activate group when taskbar button is clicked
- add configurable hotkeys for switching between tabs in a group
- add WindowTabs icon to taskbar button for grouped windows to indicate its a group
- apply changes as they are made in "Appearance" settings
- fixed bug which caused tabs to be placed on incorrect monitor for some applications (e.g. Outlook)
- improved compatibility, allowing more programs to be tabbed
- renamed "Filters" to "Programs"
- improve application compatibility when a window is closed by clicking the "x" on a tab
Version 2012.2.18.1 - Saturday February 18, 2012
- added a version checker, it runs once per day and displays up a notification bubble if a new version is available
- enabled WindowTabs for more types of applications
Version 2012.2.13 - Monday February 13, 2012
- added basic "Auto Grouping", can be enabled on a per program basis
- enabled WindowTabs for more applications, such as Yahoo messanger
- load process list in "Filter" window on background thread
- add "Refresh" button to "Filter" tree
- bring windows to top when closing so that any "save" message boxes are visible
Version 2012.2.7.1 - Tuesday February 07, 2012
- added new tabbed settings window to contain "License", "Filter" and "Appearance" settings
- added basic appearance editing for tabs (color, size, indent)
Version 2012.1.5.2 - Thursday January 05, 2012
- made MSI installer UAC compatible
- fixed issue with alt+tab causing tabstrip to hide behind window on maximized windows
- modify MSI to save to ProgramFiles for exe and AppData for settings
- made WindowTabs Manager window topmost
- removed OK/Cancel prompt when shutting down WindowTabs
Version 2012.1.3 - Tuesday January 03, 2012
- fixed memory spike when using aero peek
- added MSI installer
- added "whitelist" filter to choose which programs are tabbed
- converted settings file format from binary to text (JSON)